[Ohrrpgce] Update on Henceforth (OHRRPGCE FMF)

S'orlok Reaves sorlok_reaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 20:28:29 PST 2009

Hey y'all. Just thought I'd drop a line to let everyone know the progress being made on the OHRRPGCE FMF. Currently, development is focusing on the Henceforth Virtual Machine, which is described here:

http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Henceforth_VM

As you can tell by the 102 updates to this page, this is a BIG project. It's so big that I'm not even implementing the whole interpreter yet. First, I'll make a basic desktop VM:

http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/User:Sorlok_reaves

...and then I'll integrate that into the OHRRPGCE FMF. The desktop engine I linked to above converts most Henceforth "text" into the proper "bytecodes". I need to add some syntax highlighting, and then the ability to actually interpret this bytecode. Eventually, I hope that this tool can be used to insert Henceforth code directly into your games, and even to "debug" the OHRRPGCE FMF while it's running.

I invite you all to have a look at the Henceforth VM wiki page (and the pages it links to) and provide your comments. Usually, I prefer coding to documentation, but this time I documented then entire HVM without writing a single line of relevant code (except HSP2HF). I didn't want to be stuck with bad "legacy" code born of ignorant design. (Boy, am I tired of wiki syntax...)

Now that that's done, I can start coding, but I wanted to get your feedback before I start to change GMAE_FMF.jar.

All the best,
-->Seth
PS: Now reading James's slice tutorial... will get back to you on that.