[Ohrrpgce] Slice tutorial

Adam Perry arperry at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:41:21 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 09:21:02AM -0800, Adam Perry wrote:
> >    On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com
> >
> >    wrote:
> And so-on. The upshot is that younger siblings are always  drawn on top
> of older siblings, and that children of a parent are always drawn
> directly on top of their parent. Once you get use to it, it is pretty
> easy to understand how to arrange your slices to make them draw in the
> order you want.

I see. In that case, I'd want "move slice to top" and "move slice to bottom"
functions: if I'm using a slice as a mouse cursor, I want it to go on top
always. Slices go above heroes and NPCs, right? In my example, the mouse
cursor is likely one of the first things I'm creating on the map.

> Does that make sense?

Yes. I'm not sure I see the need for containers in general (except for
layering), but I saw you made the enemy armada one container in Space
InvadOHRs, which makes sense.

Regarding plotdict:

I think this is an error:

*sprite later*
Returns a slice handle for the layer which contains sprites created with
commands such as load hero
sprite<http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/docs/plotdict.xml#about-loadherosprite>,
load walkabout sprite<http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/docs/plotdict.xml#about-loadwalkaboutsprite>and
others. You can use this together with first
child<http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/docs/plotdict.xml#about-firstchild>if
you want to loop through all your sprites without knowing their
handles.

Should say "sprite layer."

Also, I noticed today that the menu commands aren't in the wiki either.

"slice collide point" has imprecise documentation: I assume x and y are
pixel coordinates, but are they absolute with respect to the map or relative
to the screen?

It would be really awesome to allow alpha transparency for slices (and
textboxes and menus, for that matter).
--
"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is victory over
lesser men" -Miyamoto Musashi.