[Ohrrpgce] OHRRPGCE Data debugging, rc1

David Gowers 00ai99 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:28:48 PST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 2:24 AM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:00:30PM +1030, David Gowers wrote:
>> Here's an update on my progress.
>> The attached module works (for the limited subset of file formats it
>> currently handles), and contains most of the helper functions and some
>> of the dtypes, accessible through a dictionary. Various refactoring
>> will need to happen before release on PyPI; for now, I'm still
>> migrating code from the doctest into this module while ensuring the
>> doctest continues to run in the manner it is accustomed.
>> Expected total module size is 20 - 25k
>>
>> The changes to memmapped-fileformats.rst merely adapt to use this
>> module, so I have not included an update for it.
>
> I've looked over ohrrpgce.py, and it looked slick, but I still need a
> little help on using it. I understand I need to use doctests, right? How
> do I get started with doctests? I've never used a .rst file before.

No, you don't need to know anything about doctests to use ohrrpgce.py,
it's a completely ordinary module.
Just import it. The changes to memmapped-fileformats are basically
deleting things that are now in ohrrpgce.py, and, at the start of the
file, ">>> from ohrrpgce import *".

The main feature of ohrrpgce.py is currently the dtypes[] dictionary.
typical usage from updated memmapped-fileformats.rst looks like this:

from ohrrpgce import *
# mmap is a trivial wrapper function defined by ohrrpgce.py.
veh = mmap ('viking.veh', dtypes['veh'])

As I've mentioned before, I plan to abstract this so you can create an
RPGFile instance and then access
files in a memmapped way by doing

 veh = rpgfile['veh']

If you want to learn about doctests, as mentioned before 'nose'
(http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/) is a good tool
when used with the
'--with-doctest' option (either in the nose config or on the commandline).

>> In the meantime I've released my module 'ion'
>> (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyion); mentioning this mainly because
>> it's the first thing i've released on PyPI. and also because Pixlab
>> depends on it (ohrrpgce.py won't depend on pixlab, and pixlab will
>> prove useful if manipulating OHR images or palettes)
>
> Interesting. I notice the "chain iterator" :)
Yeah, it says in the source that's OHR-inspired.  I'd prefer a tree
iterator, and it's a bit more difficult to work
out a good simple convention for passing ordered trees.

>> I've recently begun substituting 'and' where I might typically use
>> 'but', since after reading an introduction to Lojban, i realized it is
>> indeed used just like the word 'and' with added annoying
>> oxymoronicity.
>
> Wait, and but what?

Hehe. (I'm baffled. Is this to do with the fact that 'wait, and and
what?' is slightly less nonsensical than 'wait, but but what?'?)

David