[Ohrrpgce] SVN: pkmnfrk/2290 That's strange, it compiled for me...

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Thu Sep 25 13:26:43 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:14:06PM -0400, Mike Caron wrote:
> James Paige wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:56:18AM -0700, subversion at HamsterRepublic.com
> >wrote:
> >>pkmnfrk
> >>2008-09-25 10:56:18 -0700 (Thu, 25 Sep 2008)
> >>38
> >>That's strange, it compiled for me...
> >>---
> >>U   wip/subs2.bas
> >
> >The windows version compiles without -g -exx by default, so although it
> >compiled for you, you had potential memory corruption at runtime.
> >
> >It broke the compile for me because on linux I compile with -g -exx by
> >default.
> >
> >(actually, I guess the -exx part is the only part that matters for
> >bounds checking, the -g is unelated)
>
> Oh. I see. It's actually been many moons since I dug deep into the
> batch-file hell I forged, and forgot that -exx (and -g?!) weren't included.
>
> Which really makes me wonder if there isn't some reason to add them now...

Here are the reasons that I can remember (and my memory is fuzzy)

1) Bigger executable filesize
2) Fear of slight slowdown (I think TMC even profiled it)
3) Run-time error messages are impossible to display on Windows.
Application just suddenly closes. Contrast Linux which prints filename
and line-number where the error occured toi the console
4) I never previously noticed that -exx enabled compile-time bounds
checking in addition to the run-time error checking