[Ohrrpgce] some thoughts on reload

James Paige Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Thu Nov 6 09:03:35 PST 2008

Having caught up on the IRC log and the on-list discussion from last
night, I have a few thoughts:

* I like binsize.bin. I think the system is nice and simple, and it
feels less hacky the more I work with it. The only downsize is the
somewhat slow upgrade because of lump resizing

* If a goal is to decrease upgrade times, a format change will not
accomplish that goal, even if the new format can be upgraded more
efficently. Remember, the "upgrade" sub CAN'T go away, because of the
vast library of old games that still float around, most of which will
only ever be upgraded by players at load-time rather than by authors.
The upgrade time for these games will be
oldupgradetime+conversiontime+newupgradetime

* Flat binary files with binsize.bin are prefectly adequate for many
lumps in the OHR. Please don't upgrade a format without a much better
than "because I can" reason.

* All that being said, the plan for RELOAD does seem pretty cool, and
there are already some lumps that could benefit from conversion.
menus.bin+menuitem.bin are top candidates. Also the slicetree_0.txt
format which I haven't even bothered to document on the wiki, since I
was so confident it would be replaced by something else later.

* RELOAD could be awesome for the new save format.

* RELOAD could be awesome for the EditEdit lump definitions.