[Ohrrpgce] About Slices?

Kizul Emeraldfire kizulemeraldfire at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:18:39 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 04:33:23AM -0600, Kizul Emeraldfire wrote:
> >    What exactly are they for, and what is/will it be possible to do with
> them
> >    (both currently, and after they're fully implemented)? >.>
>
> Well, right now all you can do with them is play with them in the "Edit
> Screen Layouts" menu in nightly wip builds of custom.
>
> In the future, they will be used for a lot of things, including:
>
> * Customizing previously uncustomizable screens like equip, shops, and
> others.

Neat. That'll be nice.

* Getting scriptable access to things you couldn't before, like map
> layers (think paralax scrolling)

Sweet! :D That's a feature I've been wanting for ages, after alpha
transparency (and MODE7-fakery, but that'd be more difficult)!

Providing a unified scripting interface for plotstrings, plotsprites,
> menus, and even NPCs.
>
> There is more information at
>
> http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Plan_for_slice_tree
>
> ---
> James

Thanks. :)

Say, while I'm thinking of it — though it's a bit off-topic for the e-mail —
when (if ever) might the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. allow a choice between tile-based
and pixel-based movement? Just, y'know, so that people don't have to script
up hacky workarounds to have their heroes/NPCs move a pixel at a time
instead of a tile at a time. ;)