[Dev] A problem with sound assets and deserialization

Brian Fisher brian at hamsterrepublic.com
Fri May 2 16:12:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM, James Paige <Bob at hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:

> >    The reason that seems better to me is because if we start adding new
> >    functionality to soundasset, it would be likely to be out of sync
> with the
> >    faked functionality of dummysoundasset or whatever (i.e. we wouldn't
> be
> >    adding the same interface functions to both because it is so rare to
> use a
> >    dummy sound). While if a soundasset just needs to deal with having no
> >    internal buffer to play or something like that, then looking at
> soundasset
> >    code it would generally be obvious you need to deal with it, so it
> would
> >    be easier to remember and figure out (in my mind at least)
>
> I should clarify that there is no fake soundasset, there is a fake
> pygame sound assigned to the soundasset's __rawsound member.

.... well that sounds like you wrote it in a way that makes perfect sense
and is wonderful. But if that's the case, I don't see serialization stuff
could be causing a problem there - the _rawsound member isn't (or rather
shouldn't be) serialized or deserialized - it needs to be created from the
sound asset file...