[motherhamster] vec2d lite

Bob the Hamster Bob at HamsterRepublic.com
Thu May 3 22:57:30 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 07:39:51PM -0700, Brian Fisher wrote:
> Hey yo,
> I decided to check out vec2d_lite to see if there was anything about
> it's speed improvements that we'd just want to put in the original, so
> that we always get the benefit.
> I was thinking it may also have speed benefits for the sidescroller
> cause vec2d's are fastest when working with other vec2d's (cause they
> will use the faster .x and .y attributes) and the rest of
> motherhamster will be using the non-lite version
>
> However, I was running the performance tests inside the files for
> vec2d on my python 2.3 system on my windows laptop, and I am not
> seeing any speed increase in vec2d_lite over the one in motherhamster
> at all. What circumstances do you see vec2d_lite being faster? Does
> your machine show a speed increase when running the perf tests that
> are in the vec2d files?

Actually, I haven't tested for quite a while, so it is possible that
they are no longer useful. I think the case that caused the slowdown was
doing a large number of vec2d creations per cycle (one for every dirt
tile on screen for every draw cycle), but I later changed the code to
just create one, and modify it as an iterator.

So it is entirely possible that vec2d_lite is not usefull at all
anymore.