[Ohrrpgce] A few ideas and things

Mike Caron caron.mike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 06:27:58 PDT 2005

On 6/5/05, TeeEmCee <teeemcee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I mentioned this a long time ago, when we first discussed this.
> > Perhaps when you bypass the loading screen, you end up in save slot
> > "-1", which really means "no game". That would indicated to show the
> > menu. Then, when you actually load a game, it's save slot <whatever>,
> > and you bypass the menu.
>
> I don't quite follow you. But I realised it's no problem: I was
> mistaken. If the loadgame screen was skipped, the newgame script would
> run, and if the player then loaded a game, the loadgame script would
> run.

What about if the player startes a *new* game?

> > Or, maybe, a title screen plotscript, so that you can cycle through
> > your movie on the title screen itself. I don't want to think about how
> > to implement this, though.
>
> Maybe that too, if possible (have both?). Would have to jump straight
> into a new game with intro script, set a special tag, and quit the
> game on a keypress. Actually, this might get complicated - there are a
> bunch of things would would need to disable. For instance, you
> probably don't want stepon activated npcs
> or battles to trigger. This might be too much bloat.
>
> > I believe that James mentioned that the reason we can't already do
> > this is because he didn't want to upgrade the menu code to handle more
> > than 4 slots. :P
>
> I meant, I would write the code :)
>
> > That's interesting. I had no idea this happened. Perhaps it's because:
> >
> > A) if you don't care about the argument, you leave it at 0.
> > B) variables default to 0
> >
> > Thus, no one would notice. However, I assume this happens in the other
> > special plotscripts too. Thing is, no one uses a variable without
> > initializing it, so it's not that big of a problem.
>
> Actually, some of the scripts are passed non-zero arguments, like npc
> ids or coordinates and battle formation numbers, which are not
> optional.

That's what I meant by "other special plotscripts"

> What? I initialise none of my variables, except those that need to be
> initialised to something other than 0. Most people don't, from my
> experience, and I don't see the point of doing it either.

You would be affected by this if a script relied on a variable
starting out as 0, or if you used a local variable before anywhere
where it might get a value. I can only think of a few places where you
would do this (really, 0 is such a very boring number...)

> Now, please, any clues on gen()?

I suspect the list on the Wiki is the most comprehensive list.

--
Mike Caron
Final Fantasy Q